Iqaluit Dental Clinic Shares Denture Benefits and Types of Fitting
According to Iqaluit Dental Clinic, dentures have come a long way from their 18th-century days and can help restore your smile by replacing your teeth or completely. However, there are different types of dentures in the market and all of them may not be suitable for you. Let’s check out the benefits and types of denture fittings.
Benefits of dentures
Compared to a few decades ago, there are fewer people living toothless in Canada. Dentures have become less expensive over time and getting them can make a big impact on your life. Let’s check out the benefits of dentures.
- With dentures, there are no large gaps in your teeth and that means the tongue can move against the teeth properly to make clearer sounds. When you get dentures, your speech becomes easier and more intelligible.
- Getting dentures can also improve your chewing and swallowing ability of chunky and fibrous food. This further aids in digestion and keeps you healthier.
- If you have decayed and rotten teeth, getting them replaced with dentures can help avoid very dangerous risks in the future. For instance, infection from a rotten tooth may spread to your gums and even eat away at the tissue in your jaws.
- Dentures also help you avoid facial collapse. The skin on your face sinks when you are missing a few teeth and starts sagging over time. The jawbones and facial muscles also start to deteriorate when you’re missing a tooth or two. That’s where dentures come in.
With that out of the way, let’s check out the different types of dentures you can opt for.
Types of dentures
1. Full and immediate dentures –
Full dentures replace all your teeth with false teeth. They are attached to your mouth with the help of hard plates, usually made out of non-reactive acrylic material. They fit on your upper jaws, and over your gums and can even be removed and thoroughly cleaned at night.
On the other hand, immediate dentures are full dentures that are used when your mouth is healing after you get your tooth extracted. They are custom manufactured and fit to your mouth and monitored by prosthodontists for comfort and fit. They promote gum conditioning and faster healing.
2. Snap-in dentures –
Snap-in dentures are attached to implant posts in the jaw and can be removed when necessary. Due to the use of implants, they are much more stable than conventional dentures and are more comfortable as well. The use of implants also helps to maintain the health of your jaw bones. Moreover, snap-in dentures don’t cover the plate of your upper jaw and that means speech is easier. You don’t have any hindrances that limit your taste either.
Iqaluit Dental Clinic suggests that you consult your doctor and take your time figuring out the type of dentures that suit you. Dentures can also be very expensive, depending on the type you choose. That’s why it’s also important to check your dental insurance before you opt for them.